While many women don’t talk about the appearance of their vaginal lips openly, it can be a significant cause of discomfort or embarrassment. The truth is, there are many reasons why the outer lips of the vagina would look stretched or loose. This includes natural processes such as aging, pregnancy, or childbirth. A labiaplasty works by reducing the size of the labia majora and/or minora to make patients feel more confident in their bodies by creating a more desirable look.
Labiaplasty is not just a cosmetic procedure. Overextended lips can lead to irritation or pain when sitting, exercising, or having sexual intercourse. Labiaplasty surgery can rejuvenate the area by improving the size and shape of the labia so you can get back to your daily routines in comfort. At J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Las Vegas, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. J. Timothy Katzen offers this advanced surgery as an option for women. To learn more about finding the right plastic surgeon for this procedure, and to understand the costs of labiaplasty in Las Vegas, read more below.
What happens during a labiaplasty?
Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Katzen performs labiaplasty with a local anesthetic so patients can drive to and from their appointment with no trouble. For treatment that is more complex, we may need to put you under general anesthesia, and if this is the case, a responsible adult or family member will need to drive you home. When you arrive for your labiaplasty, we will use a unique technique to surgically remove the excess skin from the vaginal lips and make the area tighter. Dr. Katzen strives to ensure there is minimal scarring and that the vaginal lips look and feel natural in color, contour, and symmetry. Afterward, our caring staff will provide you with a set of instructions to follow so you can heal adequately at home.
It will only take about a week to get back to your activities as usual, but until then you may feel some swelling and discomfort. Dr. Katzen recommends an ice pack or cold compress to reduce any inflammation. You are restricted from sexual activity or using tampons for 3 – 4 weeks following the labiaplasty. Visible results are typically shown in about six weeks, while final results are seen in six months. You should be happy to know that results are long-lasting but can be affected by natural aging, childbirth, and significant weight fluctuations.
How much does a labiaplasty cost in Las Vegas?
Finding out the exact price of a labiaplasty depends on several factors. If you would like to make an informed choice about the cost of labiaplasty, you can take the following into consideration.
- Geographical location: as with many other cosmetic surgeries, geography plays an important role. The cost may be more expensive if you are planning to travel to a high-end area while finding a local Las Vegas plastic surgeon to perform your labiaplasty might be more affordable.
- The plastic surgeon: keep in mind that a more reputable professional may not necessarily charge more for a labiaplasty. However, if the difference in price is small or insignificant between a well-known and lesser-known surgeon, it may be best to choose the one who can get you the results you want. You should decide how much of a compromise you are willing to make when it comes to quality vs. cost.
- The labiaplasty procedure: is the purpose of the surgery to reduce the size of the labia majora, the minora, or both? The specifics of the labiaplasty itself, as well as any complications, may directly impact how much the procedure costs in the end.
- Sedation: administering anesthesia vs. local anesthesia is another factor in the price of a labiaplasty, but you should know that local anesthesia is not always common practice. This is to increase the comfort of the patient, so they feel more at ease.
- Combining procedures: many patients like to have multiple cosmetic procedures performed at once to save on time and resources and to get a more dramatic look. After speaking with your plastic surgeon during a labiaplasty consultation and you decide to get more than one procedure at the same time, this may lower your overall cost than if you were to get them separately.
In all, a labiaplasty may run anywhere between $3,000 and $8,000. This means the average labiaplasty may fall around $4,500. This is a large margin, so you may want to begin budgeting after a consult with your Las Vegas plastic surgeon. They will be able to give you a more direct and precise cost based on your cosmetic goals.
Does health insurance cover labiaplasty?
Again, this information depends on a few factors. If your labia is causing severe discomfort or is affecting your overall health, a trusted health insurance provider may be able to cover the cost. It is best to give them a call to confirm before you have the surgery. Patients who are electing to have a labiaplasty for cosmetic reasons have a very low chance of getting covered.
In many cases, private practices have easy financing options to make your surgery more affordable. Some programs offer low- or no-interest payments, payment in installations, or a program that reduces the overall cost if you pay cash upfront. It’s best to ask the friendly staff at your plastic surgeon’s office for more detailed information. To help save you money, it’s definitely worth looking into.
Reach out to Dr. Katzen
As you research your labiaplasty, we hope you give our team a call. Board-certified, Dr. J. Timothy Katzen is one of the most recognized and respected Las Vegas plastic surgeons, and as such, will gladly meet with you to see if this surgery is the right option for you. Talk to the professionals at J. Timothy Katzen, M.D. Las Vegas today.