What is Gynecomastia?
When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
Am I A Candidate For Gynecomastia Surgery?
Male breast reduction treatment is reserved for men with visible excess breast tissue that cannot be reduced with a healthy lifestyle or exercise and diet. If you are frustrated by the appearance of your chest (but at a good weight), you could possibly benefit from gynecomastia surgery performed by Dr. Kelishadi at SSK Plastic Surgery. Teenagers may also attain positive results from gynecomastia treatment; however, a future procedure may be necessary later during adulthood if abnormal breast tissue continues to form. In your initial consultation with Dr. Kelishadi, treatment considerations will be given and may include the likelihood and feasibility of undergoing surgery to correct the condition.
What Are The Benefits Of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction, can reshape your chest for a new look, with benefits like:
- Reducing unwanted chest fat
- Defining the pec muscles
- Creating a more chiseled, masculine appearance
- Improving movement and mobility
- Letting you wear the shirts you want (or no shirt at all)
- Achieving dramatic, long-lasting results
- Recovery time is short
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"Tummy tuck, lipo, breast lift/revision & augmentation & fat transfer - 4 kids (2 of them being c-sections) you think you know where this story is going, right?? Nope! I actually had nice skin (not a flat tire) but saggy, uneven boobs and a big, belly...from POOR EATING HABITS. I came to talk to K wanting a mommy makeover but he gave me so much more. After meeting with me he explained that given my BMI, he would not perform the surgery until I lost weight. It was the best thing that he could've ever done for me because he didn't just give me a mommy makeover, he gave me a lifestyle change which is a mental consciousness of my health.3 months later, I was within a healthy weight and today, I'm 10 days post op. I had a tummy tuck, breast lift/revision and augmentation. I had a fat transfer and liposuction. I will not lie. IT HURTS. Well, it hurt. Today it's more irritating to be lying in a beach chair type position lol! Day 1 was fine because I was doped up. Day 2-5 I regretted doing it. I cried. I asked myself 100x why I did this but it's ok. It's mentally exhausting. But YOU CAN DO IT. You'll cry. Scream. Yell. Question it all. But you will be SO HAPPY you gave yourself this gift. You are in the BEST of hands. I'm only days days post op but I know a year from now I'll be back on here smiling and answering your questions as you go through your journey."- K. / RealSelf / Oct 30, 2022
"I went to this office to have bio identical hormones inserted under my skin. Everyone in this office is kind and professional. I was treated extremely well and felt comfortable that I was getting great care and indeed I was! I highly recommend SSK Plastic Surgery!"- S.L. / Yelp / Oct 20, 2022
"Dr. Kelishadi and his wonderful team are beyond words- seriously incredible! I scheduled a consult with him, went and immediately knew he was the one for me. Valerie at the front desk loves her job, and you can tell just by speaking with her over the phone. When I went in for my consult, I was greeted warmly by Dr. Kelishadi, Sherry, Aida and every other member of his team. They all stopped to say "Hello" and "Welcome!" After spending an hour-long consult with Dr. Kelishadi I felt validated, heard, and confident. I went ahead and booked the surgery at the end of my consult and never looked back. I did not schedule a consultation with an other surgeons because I knew he would get it right! Back story: I was unsatisfied with my previous lift and implants. My previous surgeon had even completed a revision, yet still didn’t get it right. Turns out I had the wrong profile implants and the wrong type of lift from the beginning. Insert Dr. Kelishadi and I am over the moon with my results!He completed a revision with a lift (lollipop) and placed Ultra High Profile implants to give me the exact look I wanted. Seriously, look no further. He is the one for you!"- T.C. / Yelp / Sep 19, 2022
"Dr. Kelishadi and his team are absolutely amazing.I was searching for a new plastic surgeon and thankfully I found an awesome Dr.From my first phone call Valerie was fantastic. She made me feel very comfortable.I booked my consultation and after meeting Dr.Kelishadi , I knew he was the man for the job. 8/9/22 I had my implants replaced and a lift . I am now 3 weeks post op breasts are looking amazing.Everyone at SSK from the front office to the back office and the surgery site have been pleasant and very professional.Definitely do recommend Dr. Kelishadi....Thank you."- O.L. / Yelp / Aug 29, 2022
How is Gynecomastia Treated?
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What is the Recovery Process After Gynecomastia Treatment?
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
How much does male breast reduction cost?
Gynecomastia is a medical issue that requires an experienced surgeon. For this reason, Dr. Kelishadi suggests you focus on how to get your best results rather than costs. To help make male breast reduction surgery fit your budget, SSK Plastic Surgery accepts several payment methods. We can also help you locate low-interest medical financing. While surgery for gynecomastia is usually not covered by health insurance, it's worth talking to your insurer to check.
What causes gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia develops in men when there is an imbalance in the hormones. In most cases, gynecomastia is linked to the long-term use of androgens and anabolic steroids. It can also be caused by using illegal drugs, like marijuana or heroin. Gynecomastia may also be caused by some medical conditions (hyperthyroidism, hypogonadism, and tumors) or some medications (highly active antiretroviral therapy for AIDS, chemotherapy, and anti-anxiety medications).
How can I tell if I have gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is excess breast tissue growth in the male chest, which may cause pain, tenderness, and swelling. Some patients may have false gynecomastia (also known as pseudogynecomastia), so Dr. Kelishadi encourages patients to lose weight by following an exercise plan and healthy diet before considering surgery. If you still have excess breast tissue when you are at a healthy weight, Dr. Kelishadi will perform an examination and tests to diagnose gynecomastia. This may include blood tests, a mammogram, or a biopsy to look for other causes like an infection or the breast tissue (mastitis) or cancer.
Can gynecomastia be treated with exercise or pills?
The most effective treatment for gynecomastia is male breast reduction surgery. Currently, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) hasn't approved any medications to treat gynecomastia. Although they are not approved for the treatment of gynecomastia, a few breast cancer medications (Tamoxifen or Raloxifene) may give you minimal improvements. Upper body weight training to build the pectoral muscles cannot reduce the excess breast tissue and may even make the breasts look more prominent.
Will this fix puffy or pointy nipples?
Puffy or pointy nipples may be caused by glandular gynecomastia. If this is a concern for you, be sure to tell Dr. Kelishadi at your consultation. He will customize your treatment plan to use the best technique and incision pattern to correct your nipples. Large areolas may also be corrected during surgery for gynecomastia. It's important to be honest with Dr. Kelishadi about all your concerns and wants in your initial consultation, so he can ensure the results you want.
Plan Your Procedure
Achieve a More Masculine Chest
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.
How Can Plastic Surgery Boost Your Confidence?
Feeling good about the way you look plays a major role in your overall happiness. Find out how plastic surgery can give your self-esteem a boost!Read
6 Top Cosmetic Surgeries For Men
Discussion of the top Cosmetic Surgeries for men.Read
What You Need to Know about Gynecomastia Surgery
This post discusses Gynecomastia Surgery, the effects, and recovery.Read