When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"Doctor Kelishadi is the best plastic surgeon. He answered all my questions and concerns, and was very patient with me during the whole procedure. Breast augmentation is a big deal, he made sure I am comfortable, he was realistic and performed all the measurements and simulations to ensure that the procedure is safe for me and that I will have the best results. 4 months after the surgery I still can not believe this is ME in the mirror! He has done amazing work, he is really passionate about his art and his results are natural. What I like about him is that he always grow and learn about the trends, he stay up to date with everything and he makes sure he provides the best service for us. After the surgery I had his private phone number and I could text him or call him anytime with questions during the recovery. I knew exactly what to do so my recovery is fast and with no problems, I had all the details instructions about medications I need to take and what I can and can not do. His staff is the friendliest and most helpful! Shae and Alejandra answered all my questions. They both were very patient, they have never rushed me and made sure I feel comfortable and ready for the surgery. I highly recommend SSK Plastic Surgery. I am extremely happy with my results, I will come back to this place for the different treatments that they offer, because I know I can trust Doctor Kelishadi and his staff!"- A.S. / Yelp / Sep 09, 2019
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing! I love how attentive he is and gives you great advice on what you should get done or shouldn't. I've been to different surgeon offices and I always find myself booking another appointment with his office instead. The ladies at his office are another reason why I keep coming as well, such sweet and friendly ladies. I love how Every time I come they are super welcoming and I don't feel like I'm being judged! I've been to Offices before where I feel like I'm bugging the staff or when I'm asking questions they answer very annoyed. Here! They answer all your questions with concern and very kindly. Thank you Shae & Alex for being great customer service representatives & following up on my appointment reminders! I've had a hydra facial + Vivace done at his office. Which I definitely recommend, I should probably book another hydra-facial while I'm writing this review. Also, I've had my breast done elsewhere but will be contacting Dr. K once I'm ready for new boobies. I'll be referring all my clients, friends, staff, and family to Dr. Kelishadi FIVE STARS FROM ISABELLA"- I.C. / Yelp / Jun 21, 2019
"My experience with Dr. Kelishadi has been nothing but positive. The office staffs are friendly, efficient, and helpful. Dr. Kelishadi is extremely knowledgeable and also personable. He will put you at ease immediately and explain every aspect of your procedure. He is an excellent and caring surgeon who will make sure that you are informed, feeling confident, He contacted me and my husband many times to check and see how I’m doing after surgery and delighted with your results!Highly recommend Him."- M.B. / Google / Apr 25, 2019
"Amazing Dr. - My experience with Dr. Kelishadi has been nothing but positive. The office staffs are friendly, efficient, and helpful. Dr. Kelishadi is extremely knowledgeable and also personable. He will put you at ease immediately and explain every aspect of your procedure. He is an excellent and caring surgeon who will make sure that you are informed, feeling confident, He contacted me and my husband many times to check and see how I’m doing after surgery and delighted with your results!Highly recommend Him."- Anonymous / Vitals / Apr 24, 2019
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.