When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"After visiting 7 plastic surgeons, I knew that Dr. Kelishadi was the best and who I wanted to perform my BA. I couldn't be happier with him and his team! He is an amazing doctor who is knowledgeable, experienced, and holds high standards for himself. He is kind, helpful, respectful, and his work is fantastic! I highly recommend choosing Dr. K! His office staff are so sweet and helpful as well. He is my go to plastic surgeon!"- K.J. / Google / Jan 25, 2020
"Dr. Sean Kelishadi is genuinely, personable, respectful, honest, talented, generous, warm, attentive, hard working, thoughtful and the most caring doctor I know. He personally answers all questions honestly and attentively. I felt he was only interested in me AND my family’s best interest. That to me is so refreshing! I always feel welcomed and treated with kindness no matter what. I love the educational (very professional) stories he shares on social media because I learn so much and I feel in the know of the latest in skin care, he’ll even share his own experience and results! That is my favorite because it speaks how much faith he personally has in what he promotes."- P.B. / Google / Jan 25, 2020
"He is kind, helpful, respectful and his work is fantastic - After visiting 7 plastic surgeons, I knew that Dr. Kelishadi was the best and who I wanted to perform my BA. I couldn't be happier with him and his team! He is an amazing doctor who is knowledgeable, experienced, and holds high standards for himself. He is kind, helpful, respectful, and his work is fantastic! I highly recommend choosing Dr. K! His office staff are so sweet and helpful as well. He is my go to plastic surgeon!"- K. / RealSelf / Jan 20, 2020
"Highly Recommended, Talent and Comfort Top Notch - This will be long, but if you're considering having Dr. Kelishadi do a very intricate and invasive surgery on your body, I hope you respect your body enough to be looking for long and detailed reviews. I followed SSK Plastic Surgery on Instagram 6 years ago due to a random suggested surgery post that I thought was very impressive. Back then I had a 6 year old child and a very nice figure. I didn't expect to ever need or want anyone to alter my body. 6 years later, after having another child, my entire midsection had suffered. I had a big gap between my abdominals that would never mend itself, and the fat collection there was disgusting. I'm a powerlifter, and I had a great physique everywhere else and this ridiculous abdominal issue. My breasts were also super saggy but I would never have just repaired them alone.Eventually I decided it was time to look into fixing my abdominals. I had lower back soreness from my weight lifting, because my core was missing some muscle strength, and I just wanted it all restored to my pre-baby form. Who did I call? The guy I saw fixing abs for many years. Dr. Kelishadi. He is easy to talk to, he's fun and funny. His office is comfortable. His staff is kind, sweet, and gentle. I went for a consultation and we discussed the impending surgery. He looked very intently at my body and explained very thoroughly what it would take to accomplish what I wanted. To my surprise, he didn't want to do any liposuction. I thought I had enough fat there to warrant it, but he explained why I didn't need it. The main part of my surgery would be the sewing together of my abdominal gap (diastasis recti) and then the removal of the belly pooch. He never offered any extra add-on procedures and explained why they weren't necessary. He isn't trying to nickel and dime you - he treats you as a canvas and he knows what's going to look the best. I asked about a breast lift, since I was already going to be getting major surgery - and he was honest and assessed the situation as well. We decided on just a lift (mastopexy) without any implants or other procedures. I was a 36DDD but mostly because of all the loose extra skin. I just wanted them back where they belonged. I attached before and after photos. But they're only 7 weeks apart! The full swelling of this abdominal procedure takes 3 MONTHS to subside and a year to show its full result. But this is only 7 weeks. My breast lift is PERFECT, and my abdominals are already SO STRONG and so much better. It's worth mentioning that my "created" belly button is also just perfect. Lots of times you can spot a fake belly button by it's weird shape and lack of folds inside, but this thing is PERFECT. The last 7 weeks since my surgery, I've seen Dr. Kelishadi 12 times. I had a small complication (they happen sometimes with a surgery this major!) so I saw him more than you might, and I can't say enough good about how comforting and intelligent he is. He eased every concern and he made everything work out perfectly. Also, when these photos are only 7 weeks into a recovery that takes many months to truly be healed, you can see the talent that exists here. Sidenote: he even gives you his cell phone number after your procedure, and he's available anytime at all for questions, concerns, or even to text and brag about how happy you are. He is truly AMAZING."- F. / RealSelf / Jan 14, 2020
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.