When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"The best of the best... I wish there were more stars to add to his review, but if the five stars describe the best, then that would be Dr. Kelishadi. I have no words to describe the amazing job he's doing with every case. He is very patient, meticulous and never gives up until the smallest detail is taken care of. Thank you Dr Kelishadi for everything"- S.A. / Yelp / Apr 19, 2018
"There are not words to truly express how much I admire and trust Dr. Kelishadi. He is,without a doubt one in a million. He is compassionate, honest, professional and a perfectionist in his profession.. Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer and with the help of my oncologist surgeon ( Dr. Kachikwu ) and Dr. Kelishadi I made the decision to have a mastectomy surgery and reconstruction surgery on the same day. The surgery went well, the tumor was entirely removed and I didn't need chemo or radiation. Dr. Kelishadi helped me to overcome the fear of having a mastectomy. He promised me he was going to treat me like he would a family member and he really did. I had a fast recovery and went back to work 6 weeks after my surgery. I feel blessed that god gave a second chance and the opportunity to met Dr.Kelishadi during my cancer journey. The results of my new breast are amazing! They are so natural looking that I don't even think of cancer anymore. I wish breast cancer on no one yet should you find yourself in need of a plastic surgeon, I pray that you will be able to see Dr. Kelishadi, he is amazing! And, his staff is very friendly and professional too. :)"- V.F. / Yelp / Apr 17, 2018
"Dr.Kelishadi & his staff are amazing I would really recommend him .I got my breast Augmentation is about too be a year on April 26 ,2018 He cares are you so if you are looking for a doctor who is professional & keeps checking on you feel free too call him this is not a fake message it is real.i love my results just please follow all his directions"- A.J. / Google / Apr 12, 2018
"For anyone that is looking to do something for themselves, no matter what the reason is, I would recommend SSK Plastic Surgery to anyone and everyone. I have been waiting to have cosmetic surgery for 5 years after having my 3rd child, and went to multiple offices and spoke to 4 other surgeons prior to meeting Dr. Kelishadi. Once I met with him, I felt comfortable and trusted him with my procedure. Dr. Kelishadi was thorough, knowledgable and patiently answered all of my questions. I had a tummy tuck, breast lift and augmentation, and liposuction of the back and love handle areas with a fat transfer into my butt/hips. It was a 7.5 hour procedure that ended up being a little over 8 hours. His staff was extremely helpful with all of the paperwork and financing leading up to the day of surgery, and the hospital staff that Dr. K is contracted with was warm and caring. I was nervous about the procedure and my recovery, and Dr. Kelishadi personally made phone calls (even on Christmas Day because my surgery was just a few days before) to check in with me. I was able to reach him directly with any questions or concerns- the care and level of service far exceeds any I have ever had in the medical field.I am now a little over 3 months post-op and I feel amazing and am so happy with my results. SSK made this experience as easy as it could possibly be."- K.M. / Yelp / Mar 24, 2018
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.