When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"It´s been a month since my wife has gone under surgery with Dr. Kelishadi for a breast augmentation procedure, and the results are incredible. My wife has been wanting to get this done for a very long time, but we were a bit concerned about the final outcome. Why have we waited so long, my gosh, she's so happy now, and I'm even happier :-) Dr. Kelishadi and his staff, Alejandra, Shea, and the anesthesiologist he works with, have been professional and supportive throughout the entire process. Dr. Kelishadi even contacted us himself, the first Sunday after the procedure to see how my wife was doing. We are so thankful and definitely recommend him 100% to anyone who wants to look better, feel better and be treated like family, no doubt. Thank you Sean."- C.S. / Yelp / Sep 09, 2018
"Dr. Sean and his staff are first class they really deserve 6 stars. Both my Wife and I have had procedures with his team. They are the best at what they do and very well priced!"- S.R. / Google / Jun 21, 2018
"I'm just barely 2 months post op from my breast augmentation , and I'm in Hawaii celebrating in my bikinis! Lol lol So first of all, a shout out to Dr Kelishadi and his staff: Alenjandra and Shea- they ladies are absolutely wonderful! So you guys know the classic tale, mother of a couple kids decided to get breast augmentation after breastfeeding destroyed them.... yup that's me! I ended up choosing SSK because I was impressed by his resume and portfolio- which he extensively went over during our consultation. Dr Kelashadi, I felt connected very well with me and it's important for me to feel like my doctor will care about me. He's also hip, young, healthy and looks like he has steady hands. The consultation itself is .., not gonna lie... extremely awkward...., but it's part of the process. That's when you try on different implant sizes and the doctor examines your breast. In the end we decided on 365cc, high profile which the doctor recommended after examining my proportions. The surgical facility itself was very clean and the staff was amazing. I had a wonderful experience. Recovery was fast and quick.. but to be fair..... my pain tolerance is high... especially after giving birth 2 times... After the recovery... my breast looked pretty hard and square... I definitely wasn't ready to wear a tube top or anything. By the week 6 however... they were taking form and I was so excited about them... and each day after the 6th week... they looked progressively better and better. So i am nearly 8 weeks out... they are not 100% settled yet but I don't care... im in Hawaii in a bikini! Lol Anyway, I understand everyone's experience will be different... I just happened to have a very ideal experience and I am tremendously grateful for everything and everyone. I am very happy with my body. The results, honestly... ended way better than I thought it would be... going in I had no expectations because I seriously hated how they looked originally. I just can't believe how I look in certain clothes and in bikinis- I am sooo happy!"- T.L. / Yelp / May 19, 2018
"The best of the best... I wish there were more stars to add to his review, but if the five stars describe the best, then that would be Dr. Kelishadi. I have no words to describe the amazing job he's doing with every case. He is very patient, meticulous and never gives up until the smallest detail is taken care of. Thank you Dr Kelishadi for everything"- S.A. / Yelp / Apr 19, 2018
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.