When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"Amazing Experience - I am 73 years old: A dear friend who has since passed told me the best thing she ever did ; was to have a face lift at 73 . So I took the challenge.it is delightful to look at facial image and see.a much younger.face. I smile most of the time realizing how fortunate I was to find Dr. Kelishadi, Shea and Alejandra, office staff made the experience even better by their kindness and attention..."- M. / RealSelf / Feb 07, 2019
"So Happy!! - Highly recommend Dr. Kelishadi, my breasts are new and improved and I couldn’t be any happier. He is a top notch plastic suregeon , young, vibrant , and very up to date. Ladies you need this dr!! His staff Alexandra and Shea are the cutest and they make you feel so comfortable and are so helpful . This office is the A team! Love them all!"- M. / RealSelf / Feb 07, 2019
"Number One Plastic Surgeon in Orange County,, - My experience from start to finish with dr.kelishadi has been beyond amazing. When you first walk in your welcomed by shay who is nothing but sweet and makes you feel comfortable. then you meet with his Assistant Alejandra in the exam room to go over different styles of implants and she makes you feel so comfortable and is so helpful with any concerns or questions you may have . The implants..."- A. / RealSelf / Feb 07, 2019
"This is a review from the husband of a patient of a mommy makeover...That being said, I felt like I was the patient of Dr Kelishadi because he treated me that way. He kept me informed. He asked if I had any questions. He went out of his way to text me outside of office visits. He cares about his patients and their significant others. Now about his work: amazing. He kept telling me I'd love it. I sort of brushed it off because of the unknown, but can say 10000000% he was right. He has given my wife unbelievable confidence and selfishly I am having a TON of fun with her (Good thing I'm snipped). Pre surgery he was amazing, and post surgery the first thing he did was find me in the lobby to walk me through everything. He would text me randomly to check in and prepared us for the fun journey we went on. The whole process honestly made our marriage stronger and I owe it to Dr Kelishadi for preparing me to be strong for my wife and prepare her to be able to enjoy the adventure.If you're on the fence or hesitant, I assure you he is worth every penny. Best experience! AND GO LAKERS!"- J.C. / Google / Feb 04, 2019
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.