When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"Dr. Kelishadi and the team at SSK Plastic Surgery is the best of the best out there. Since January of this year I had been researching doctors in the SoCal area. I was just doing google searches, and found a lot of amazing doctors. I had a few consultations around the Newport, Laguna, and Beverly Hills areas. They were all great, but SSK was exceptional. Something that really impressed me was how personable Dr. Kelishadi was. I had only submitted an inquiry of interest in a consultation, and he called me! No other dr had done that. When I met with Dr. Kelishadi and Lindsey for the first time, I felt very comfortable. The office is beautiful and clean. From the first consultation I knew I found the Dr. for my breast augmentation. Prior to surgery, Dr. Kelishadi worked with me on sizing and implants. I ended up going for the 300 cc since I am a pretty petite person. I had my surgery this past July, and now a month later I can say it was the BEST decision I could've made! I've wanted a breast augmentation since I was in high school, and now in my mid twenties I finally decided to go for it and have been loving it ever since. The day of surgery everyone at the surgery clinic was so comforting and sweet. It made the whole process so easy. After surgery, Dr. Kelishadi still takes such good care of you! He has his personal phone ready just in case you have any questions/concerns post surgery. And he calls you just to check in and see how you're doing. It really was the extra mile! My recovery was quick and (nearly) pain-free. I was off the pain killers just 3 days post surgery, overall the pain was bearable even at its worst. Today I am a month in and feeling almost 100% again! I am SO happy with my results and my choice with SSK plastic surgery. If you are having any hesitations with your decision to get the body/face you've always wanted I say there's no time like the present! And going to SSK is the first step! I hope by me sharing my experience, helps!!"- K.K. / Yelp / Aug 22, 2017
"Amazing - I am 35 years old and was looking for a curvy figure... Dr. Kelishadi performed lipo with fat transfer and I have to say my husband and I are thrilled with the results. Dr. Kelishadi was great, made us feel at ease and was there through the recovery every step of the way. If we had any questions he was a phone call away. I've had plastic surgery with other doctors but they do not compare to..."- A. / RealSelf / Aug 14, 2017
"Dr. Kelishadi and his staff are the absolute best! - First I have to say that if I could give Dr. Kelishadi & his staff more than 5 stars I would!! Dr. K is the absolute best! His friendly outgoing personality puts you at total ease to discuss any of your concerns or fears, all your options etc... & his skills in this field are the clencher!! He's amazing!! I'm in the medical field & work along side a variety of doctors daily. I'm..."- P.O. / RealSelf / Aug 14, 2017
"Dr. Kelishadi is absolutely amazing! I went in for micro needling and I'm not even kidding... it was completely painless. And not the kind of "painless" that waxing and laser hair removal ads say where it actually hurts like crazy... It was actually PAINLESS. His attention to detail was great, and I was able to take headshots 6 days later with no redness whatsoever. I've been getting tons of comments that I look visibly several years younger. I have the best skin right now that I've ever had. I couldn't recommend him enough!"- K.S. / Yelp / Aug 11, 2017
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.