When we hear the words “breast surgery,” or even “breast reduction surgery,” it is not uncommon for our minds to automatically think about women. This is an unfortunate oversight, because there are a very large number of males in the U.S. diagnosed with a condition called gynecomastia. This condition causes excess tissue and/or fat to develop in the chest of males. Use of certain prescription and recreational drugs, including steroids, can cause enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) at any time from puberty onward. The question is, what can be done about this condition, and how can it improve your quality of life? Plastic Surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi will be happy to discuss your condition and create a treatment plan that is unique to you. Please call SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA to schedule your personal consultation.
"Dr. Kelishadi is amazing!!! He made me feel so comfortable! I had Breast Augmentation May 26th. I'm three months out and loving my results! I was very self conscious about my chest. My breasts shrunk due to breast feeding. I didn't even want to change in front of my husband. (he loved them no matter what lol) and now I am feeling so great about it! He said he's even noticed a boost in my confidence level. I love it! i feel good..i feel sexy. I never thought I would actually go through with getting this done, but Dr. Kelishadi and his staff helped me with every step of the way. He was very caring and checked up on me after surgery. His staff was very nice as well. All so helpful! I highly recommend him!"- J.V. / Yelp / Jul 27, 2017
"Had my BA done by Dr. Kelishadi over three months ago. Oh my, one of the BEST decisions I’ve made in my life! I didn’t just come across a good surgeon like Dr. K by chance, I did lots of research and homework. For those who are still searching for the right Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Kelishadi IS the one. He takes his time with you, understands your needs and wants, explains everything you will and might experience so there are no surprises, and more importantly he and his staff Alejandra and Shay are always so helpful and responsive to all questions you have. My entire surgery and recovery process was also made so easy and pleasant because of Dr. K., his entire team and his special recovery protocol! I am very happy with the results and am loving them!"- W.C. / Google / Apr 11, 2019
"Highly Recommend SSK! - Had my BA done by Dr. Kelishadi three months ago. Oh my, one of the BEST decisions I’ve made in my life! I didn’t just come across a good surgeon like Dr. K by chance, I did lots of research and homework. For those who are still searching for the right Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Kelishadi IS the one. He takes his time with you, understands your needs and wants, explains everything you will and mig..."- W. / RealSelf / Apr 05, 2019
"I am overjoyed with excitement. I can't even begin to explain the happiness I have . I want to just give the biggest thank you to Dr. Kelishadi . He is an amazing doctor and a great human being. I have to express how touched I am to have been blessed with such an experienced, humble, caring person . Doctor K not only is a great person but the professionalism he brings to his practice is above and beyond. I am thrilled with how my Tear Through came out ! I had such tired looking eyes and I left the office with restful, rejuvenated younger eyes . I was so nervous not knowing what to expect but he just brings such comfort and confidence with him and takes away all of your anxieties just knowing you are in good hands . Thank you also to Alejandra and Shea for both of you ladies for brightening up the room with your loving smiles and cheerful demeanor. SSK thank you so much for making such a difference:)"- L.F. / Yelp / Apr 01, 2019
"Dr. Kelishadi is a rock star! I feel very blessed to have found such a great doc to do my surgery. His team, both Shea and Alejandra, are super nice and help you throughout the process. I would definitely go see Dr K again. This was my first ever surgery and I was so so happy. I'd give him 100 stars if I could."- K.G. / Yelp / Mar 27, 2019
- Liposuction removes excess fat that is unresponsive to diet and exercise, thereby achieving more proportionate and more pronounced contours to look trimmer and more attractive. Ultrasound-, Power- or VASER-assisted techniques may be employed to facilitate fat removal.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia may be performed for dominant breast masses or thick breast tissue that can not be liposuctioned. The excised tissue is sometimes sent to pathology for testing. Direct excision can also be performed for the majority of the breast tissue including fatty tissue through an incision around a portion of the areola. A drain may need to be placed into the breast skin envelope to accelerate healing and reduce the risk of fluid accumulation.
- Mastopexy may be performed for rare, extreme cases. Mastopexy involves removal of skin and a small amount of breast glandular tissue, repositioning of the nipple and improvement of the breast position with lifting. Several incision approaches may be used, including incisions around the areola, in the inframammary fold, and vertically between the areola and the fold.
- Direct excision of gynecomastia plus liposuction is the preferred technique utilized in most cases. This combination strategy is performed to minimize scars and also provide the best contour and aesthetic outcome. With this approach, liposuction is used to remove fatty tissue and also contour the borders of the breast with the axilla and abdomen. Additionally, the liposuction cannula can help break up a well-defined inframammary fold, which is a feminizing feature of enlarged male breasts. In men, this area should “blend” with the abdomen. The hard, thick, glandular tissue can be removed via direct excision through a small incision usually concealed within the inferior border of the areola.
What To Expect
Surgery to treat gynecomastia is usually an outpatient procedure. When your driver takes you home, you will be wearing compression garments and you should continue to wear them for a few weeks to encourage optimal healing. Further information follows:
- Walking is permitted and healthful while you recover, especially during the first week when you will need to avoid strenuous activities.
- Your recovery time and amount of bruising and swelling will depend on numerous factors such as what strategies were employed for your surgery, your health, your age, and if any other procedures were performed.
- You may be able to return to work in about a week, or even less, depending on the extent of your procedure(s) and the physical demands of your job.
- Your deep sutures will dissolve over 2-6 months to support your incisions during the most critical stages of wound healing and collagen remodeling; any external sutures you see will be removed within two weeks. For the next several months, the connective tissue in your skin will keep contracting (using the beneficial effects of scars contracting over time--scars can be on the inside where you can’t see them, too!) and adjusting to the removal of fat and tissue that has taken place.
- Final results should show your trimmer contours in 1-6 months and can be long-lasting through a consistent program of a healthful diet and appropriate exercise.
Plan Your Procedure
To Learn More
The cost of the procedure varies based on the complexity of your treatment, time needed for anesthesia, and use of facilities. This along with the associated risks of the custom-tailored procedure are best discussed in person during your consultation as each person’s situation is unique. It isn’t uncommon for such a condition to alter the quality of one’s life. Gynecomastiahas affected many men by means of their self-esteem, their sex lives, as well as their activities. There is no need to continue to be ashamed; instead, take control and embrace a better feeling you. For more information on plastic surgery procedures used to treat gynecomastia, contact us today to schedule a consultation and we will address all your questions and concerns.