A tummy tuck procedure, also known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery to improve the shape and tone of the abdominal area. With recent advances in surgical and medical technology, there are various types of tummy tuck techniques to choose from depending on a person's aesthetic goals and body type. It also means finding a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon to get optimal results. Women and men considering a tummy tuck procedure should come prepared for their initial consultation, so all their questions and concerns can be answered.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Sean Kelishadi offers a wide variety of surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic services to both women and men in the Newport Beach area. Coming prepared for a consultation with a list of questions is a good starting point for any procedure. It is the ideal time to share concerns, aesthetic goals, and determine if a plastic surgeon is the right fit.
As President of SSK Plastic Surgery, Dr. Kelishadi wants to share his professional advice on what patients should ask themselves before and during a tummy tuck consultation, so they feel better prepared and more comfortable about their decision.
What questions will a plastic surgeon ask?
A qualified, experienced plastic surgeon like Dr. Kelishadi will want to know their patients' expectations before the actual procedure. Patients who know what they want from their tummy tuck results will help give their plastic surgeon a better idea of the desired aesthetic outcome. A good dialogue between patient and plastic surgeon allows for detailed feedback, a comprehensive surgical plan, and optimal results in the end. Here are some key questions surgeons ask during the consultation:
- What is the primary concern with your midsection?
- Do you have excess, loose skin in your stomach area?
- Do you have stretch marks you want less visible, if possible?
- How many pregnancies have you had? Do you plan to be pregnant again?
- Did you lose significant weight before the consultation?
- Is your goal to look good in a two-piece bathing suit?
- What is your desired outcome with a tummy tuck?
Am I a good fit for a tummy tuck?
Pregnancy, extreme fluctuating weight, age, and genetics are all factors that can change a person's midsection. Isolated pockets of fat, loose skin, and that dreaded "pooch" can all be the result of different life occurrences. A tummy tuck procedure can remove excess skin and fat in the abdominal area, plus tighten the underlying muscles to give patients a more toned, flatter look. Before a consultation with a plastic surgeon, individuals should ask themselves the following:
- Have you managed an ideal weight for six months or more?
- Are you struggling to attain a flatter stomach with regular exercise and a healthy diet?
- Have you recently lost a significant amount of weight that has left loose, excess skin?
- Has pregnancy left stretch marks, wrinkled skin, or excess fat?
- Has the natural process of aging caused your stomach to look less toned or fit?
What should I ask during my tummy tuck consultation?
Being open and asking questions during a consultation makes a definite starting point between surgeon and patient. An initial consultation allows patients to educate themselves, feel more comfortable with their surgeon, and share their ultimate goal for the procedure. During the consultation, here are some ideal questions to ask:
- How many tummy tuck procedures do you perform monthly?
- There are different types of tummy tucks, which one is right for me?
- Will my tummy tuck procedure be done at this location?
- How should I prepare for my tummy tuck before and after?
- What can I expect from my tummy tuck results?
- Can I get recommendations on how to maintain my results?
At SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA, patients will have a private one-on-one consultation with Dr. Kelishadi. Before the initial consultation, patients are encouraged to do their homework and come prepared with questions. It creates an open dialogue between Dr. Kelishadi and his patients, allowing for a more comfortable atmosphere and a better understanding of what each patient wants.
A tummy tuck procedure can be a fantastic body contouring solution for the right candidate. It is a cosmetic procedure that can provide a flatter, more toned-looking stomach area for patients who have been wanting that desired look for their body. If you are considering a tummy tuck procedure and have additional questions or concerns, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sean Kelishadi at SSK Plastic Surgery in Newport Beach, CA. Dr. Kelishadi will listen to your questions, discuss any concerns, and help you feel more prepared and motivated to get the midsection you always wanted.